What can I say, it was a tremendous mess!!! Everything, except the turkey, stuffing, pies -- well, it seems that everything that I touched broke or there was some sort of mishap! The food, however, was great, but that is probably because I had nothing whatsoever to do with its preparation.
Today, my brand new, sexy, 19" Viewsonic flat panel monitor with pivot action (goes from landscape to portait mode) went haywire. I cannot really say that it stopped working, but I can say that it stopped working properly. It has two RGB (standard VGA) inputs, and one Digital Video-In input. I loved it!! I bought it at a computer show in Gaithersburg, MD on the 29th of October. Now, only a month from its purchase, the DVI input went bad.
What happened? Everything was working perfectly when I turned the computer off today at 2:30 to eat Thanksgiving Dinner; when I turned the computer on to work on my homework for IT130, the screen remained black, I received an error message on the monitor's On-Screen Display, "No Signal Present, " and then the green power LED turned a dismal shade of amber (the color it displays when the monitor is in sleep mode").
I tried using the RGA input rather than the DVI inputs, to rule out that the graphics card was malfunctioning; to my surprise, the monitor turned on and worked. I changed back to the DVI mode, but the monitor stayed black. So, I changed back to the other RGB input, and everything turned on and worked fine. I was stumped on why just the DVI input would stop functioning.
Over the next few hours I swapped monitors from different computers, tried the new Viewsonic in other computers, and tried all of the configurations I could to rule out other components before I called Viewsonic Technical Support. I must say that Viewsonic was very helpful, although they did not find the problem. The recommended that I call the dealer and see if they would replace it for me, rather than send me one, simply to save me time (the reps figured it would take about 15 days to get it to my home in West Virginia) and money (Viewsonic would only pay shipping one way). After talking to Viewsonic for what seemed to be ages, I finally broke down and used the RGB inputs so I could get back to my studies.
I did not get hold of the dealer from which I bought the monitor (it is Thanksgiving, after all), but I did leave a message on his voice mail asking him to call me back when he got back to the office.
What a day!! As you can see by the post, I have spent allot of time trying to fix something that can probably not be fixed. Oh Well, maybe I will have a new monitor in a few days.
2 comments:
So - did you get your monitor replaced? I thought Viewsonics were like, the best. Makes me wonder now if I should replace mine with a Vewsonic or maybe just buy the cheapest one anyway. When are you going to write again? I want to know what's up with the Viewsonic? And was the food the only good thing about the day cause your woman did all the cookin? What's your beef with online learning - I did all my upper-level classes online and loved it!
Jim,
Thanks for the comments. I have several posts that deal directly with both issues, online learning and the monitor soap opera.
Post a Comment