Friday, November 24, 2006

Who Am I?

My name is William Collins, At this moment I work for the United States Census Bureau as a Quality Control Monitor; I am the person who monitors telephone call made by other Bureau employees, and evaluates the quality of their work.



I am a student at Mountain State University (MSU). Before starting at MSU, I studied at the nearby Hagerstown Community College in Hagerstown, Maryland, where I graduated cum laude with a double major Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Programming and in Database Management. My ambitions are to complete my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Networking, and to go further and eventually complete my Master's.

I must say that I really miss Hagerstown Community College, and sort of wished that they offered a Bachelor's program, however, I was very excited to learn the MSU's discipline program was very non-traditional, and in fact, was geared toward the adult learner.

Some of the scheduling conflicts that most adult students have, such as full-time jobs, are what some of the Universities like Mountain State understand best. Unfortunately, those same conflicts are what makes online learning so appealing, and therein lies my conflict with the entire premise of online learning.

My next post will explain a little better what I mean when I say, "conflict." Until next time -- take care!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

William, sounds like you're on the right path. It's hard to leave a learning environment with faculty and students that you've spent so much time with. I hope that your time at Mountain State will be as good as Hagerstown Community College. Best of luck with your new course of study. Also, good luck with the online learning thing - sounds like a hassle to me!