Saturday, December 16, 2006

Talk about a life-affirming change!! My life has changed in a dramatic way. I was offered a job at a local university, and it was all I could do to not jump for joy. Isn't it strange you your entire life can be changed in just a few, well worded sentences.

I have worked for the United States Census Bureau in Hagerstown, MD for almost 14 years, but as of December 23, 2006 I no longer work for them. In fact, during my last week at the Bureau, I have actually been released from service, so while my last official day is 12/23/06, I do not have to show up - I do not get paid, but I do not have to show, either.

I am going to miss that place allot more than I originally thought, I suppose. I was writing an email to all of my friends that listed all of my telephone numbers, email addresses, and other contact information, along with a little bit of insight as to why I left my employer of a decade and a half. As I was writing my email tears started to run down my cheeks -- and as I wrote to my friends and ex-colleagues, the tears ran faster and harder. I could not believe what was happening! I mean, I am a sensitive guy, but this was ridiculous. I never thought just how much I cared for that place. And let me tell you, it was not the best of places or the worst of places for which to work, but like every other employer, it sure had its moments!

The main reason I left was not because I was sick and tired of the petty crap that continuously went on (and yes, I was tired of it-but that was not the reason). I left because I received a job offer from the university I am attending, Mountain State University. I saw the offer from MSU as too good to pass up, so I immediately called them and accepted the offer. The money is not quite as good as at the Bureau, but the University is growing by leaps and bounds, so I figure that in several years I will be back at the same or higher rate of pay per hour. It is also important to note that our Census Office was going through some rough budget times, so my department's hours were slashed from FT to PT (anywhere from 40/week to 20/wk). Plus, my new job with MSU will be much, much more rewarding than what I did at the Census Bureau (quality control agent). I believe in my heart that I will have much more room for advancement and/or room for lateral movement.

Until I started writing that email, I did not feel even one pang of sadness in leaving, to you a phrase, "It's all good." Yet I cold not stop myself from balling like a baby. Go figure.

I will post again after my first day and telling you how it is going.



No comments: